Tuesday 27 August 2013

Distant Colonies: The Death of a Salesman


I have recently decided to scrap one of my cards from the Distant Colonies set. It is an interesting card, but I feel that there is a card that delivers on this concept better that already exists. Strange as it may sound, this 2-cost cantrip is being usurped by a 5 cost terminal because they share a very similar role.


The original idea behind Hawker was to create interesting decisions around making extra buys or not. Everything about the card was based on that; it was designed as a 2 cost mainly so that buying multiple copies was not difficult (similar to other massable cards like Fool's Gold). It was a cantrip so that having too many would not be a bad thing. It gave you buys, but punished you for not using them.

Merchant's Guild also rewards players for making extra buys, but does it in a way I like much better than the way I did it. A single Merchant's Guild serves as a delayed terminal gold (assuming you use both buys); it gives $1 now and $2 later. Multiple MGs stack exponentially in power, 2 MGs give you 3 buys and 2 coins per buy ($6 later), 3 MGs give 4 buys and 3 coins per ($12). It has potential in engines, BM, slogs, and more. It is a really cool card, and I humbly bow out from competing against it.

I still like the idea of a conditional duration card, and I will probably experiment trying to make something similar in future.


No comments:

Post a Comment